NoRedInk is a free website and Edmodo App for teachers to provide students with practice assignments and quizzes to help them develop grammar and writing skills.
How does it work?
1. Sign up for a free account at www.noredink.com
2. You will be prompted to create a class and give it a name.
3. After you have established a class name, you can create assignments or quizzes. Assignments are formative assessments, where students can learn from their mistakes and fix them immediately. Quizzes are summative assessments where students can fix mistakes at the end of the quiz.
You can create assignments or quizzes on capitalization, apostrophes, commonly misspelled words, colons, commas, and pronouns. The best part is that NoRedInk provides a question bank of pre-made questions, so there is very little that you have to do!
4. Choose the specifics and customize your assignment or quiz. Do you want students to complete 5 or 50 questions? How many points will this be worth? When do you want students to take the quiz? Do you want the whole class to take the quiz or just a few students?
5. Students can join your class with a code provided by NoRedInk.
Why It Helps Students
In the digital age, it is important for students to learn at their own pace. It is also important to provide scaffolds and supports in place for struggling students. This is the perfect tool to help students learn at their own pace. The best part is that NoRedInk teaches students as they go. If students make a mistake, they will learn why their answer was incorrect and how to correct their results. Students can track their progress throughout the assignment and see how they are doing. This avoids mindless practice and provides timely feedback, which is both effective and engaging.
Why It Helps Teachers
Addressing the Common Core is all of our jobs and is no longer isolated to Language Arts classrooms. This is the perfect tool to help all students in all classes. The best part, is that you don't have to be an expert. If you are a teacher who also struggles with grammar, this tool can help you help your students become better writers. NoRedInk gives you tools to track student progress and grades activities automatically!
Want to See It Work?
Check out my video tutorial below!