Create an Interactive Google Sheets Checklist: Tally Checkboxes, Use Conditional Formatting, and More

Have you ever been frustrated when students forget to read instructions or include certain elements in an assignment? I have found writing assignments to be particularly challenging for some students.

In order to save my sanity and help students practice important self-management skills, I developed an interactive Google Sheet called "My Perfect 10 Checklist." The following Sheet has checkbox reminders, a tally feature to count all checked boxes, and conditional formatting, which will turn green when the student is ready to turn in their assignment. 


 

How Does It Work? 

First, you will want to create a Google Sheet with the important tasks you want students to complete. It might be helpful to keep it simple and list a handful or no more than 10. 

Then, you will want to add checkboxes, so that students can keep track of their completion. 


Next, I find it helpful to add a box to tally up how many boxes have been checked. You can use a CountIf equation to keep track of how many boxes are checked. Here is the sample equation from my example. 


Finally, I like to add conditional formatting to tell students whether or not it is ok to turn in their assignment. For example, if students score anything less than 10, the box containing their total will appear red. If they score a 10, then the box will appear green. You will use Conditional Formatting (in the Format menu) for this to appear. I show you exactly how this works in my video below. 


Want More? 

Want to see this in action? Check out my video below. 

Want your own copy? Click here for a copy of my template. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 Tips for Building Better Learning Goals

Goals are not just the foundation; they are the roadmap for effectively planning a UDL lesson. They often serve as a roadmap, providing stud...